Our Volunteer Requirements:
- All volunteers must attend a Volunteer Orientation
- Be minimum age of 14 years old
- Be available on a regular basis for the riding session
- Be reasonably fit in order to walk/jog in a sand arena and outside up and down hills
- Possess sufficient strength to assist mounted riders at the walk and trot during lesson activities or in emergency situations.
There are four main categories of volunteers at Sprout:
- Lesson Volunteers
- Community Based Instruction Volunteers
- Barn Workers
- Fundraising and Special Projects Volunteers
Volunteers are used in lessons to provide support to our participants as they grow as riders. Side-walkers work with the student, while horse leaders help to guide and direct our equines.
Volunteers help feed and turn-in/out horses, change blankets and clean stalls in the morning and/or the evening. (Horse/Barn experience is a MUST.)
Community Based Instruction Volunteers:
Adult volunteers help serve as Sprout Representatives by providing oversight, support and encouragement to students from Loudoun County Public Schools as they work in the barn for Community Based Instruction (CBI). Students/groups are paired with specific adult volunteers and work toward job/life skill goals.
Fundraising and Special Project Volunteers:
Fundraising volunteers help to plan our exciting special events and fundraisers during the year. In addition, we have many one-time community activities where we have the chance to introduce the mission of Sprout to the greater region, and our volunteers play a huge part in spreading the word about what we do. These events direct the community’s attention and support to our facility, and educate them on the benefits of therapeutic riding.
Sign Up for Volunteer Training:
The training will take approximately 1-1/2 hours. There is an orientation portion and then a hands on training. Please wear appropriate footwear to work around horses (ie: no open toes or heels; sturdy and comfortable for walking).
To register for volunteer training contact Nancy Davidson Nancy.Davidson@sproutcenter.org